Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Clocked Out

Elle: Why are you looking so worried, Jay?
Jay: A friend just died...
Elle: Oh dear, I'm sorry to hear that. Close friend?
Jay: Something like that. It was rather...weird, the circumstances.
Elle: What do you mean?
Jay: Well you see, I didn't know that there was this pantang against giving clocks as presents.
Elle: Aiyo! You give clocks as presents? Make sure you don't give me one ya.
Jay: But how was I to know about such cina pantangs? And not like I had any idea what it was pantang against anyway.
Elle: So what has clocks got to do with this?
Jay: Well...I gave him a clock as a present - from my trip to Bangkok.
Elle: Ri-ight. Go all the way to Bangkok and just buy a clock for a present. And how come I didn't get anything?
Jay: It's, er, somewhere. I haven't got to giving out the rest since my friend died.
Elle: Right.
Jay: So this pantang. I got a SMS later on after he'd open his present asking if I knew about such pantang. I told him no. He then said that he wasn't sure about it also.
Elle: Then how did he know about it?
Jay: Dunno lor. He thought it was something to do with his time running out when the clock stopped working. Personally I thought the whole pantang thing was rubbish.
Elle: Wah. What a theory.
Jay: Then he said that if that was the pantang then he won't put any batteries in. That way he'd be immortal.
Elle: I like the way he thinks.
Jay: Thought.
Elle: Eh?
Jay: The way he thought.
Elle: Whateverlah. Continue.
Jay: Next day when I was at his place he finds the clock working. Seems like somebody must have thought it an act of kindness to get the clock working for him.
Elle: Wasn't that nice?
Jay: He walked over to the clock, took a look at the battery and said that it must be his sister's battery, he only uses alkaline. Then he took out the battery...and dropped dead.
Elle: WHAT?
Jay: Ye-ah. It was surreal. I thought he fainted or something.
Elle: Whoa. You know...
Jay: Yeah?
Elle: It gives me an idea. I'll start posting clocks to people I don't like. And I'll put in a battery that's nearly drained.
Jay: You're evil.


OK we're bored.

13 comments:

William said...

Death Note ke?

Alex said...

It's because of the homophone "giving clock" and "sending one's off in a funeral processing" in Chinese that caused this stupid superstition. There are plenty of homophone-related superstitions among the Chinese.

Little Prince said...

that's hot. get me some clocks.
well they said if it's a wrist watch etc, make sure the person receiving gives a dollar.

savante said...

Now you have internal conversations between personalities!?

Jason said...

*dot dot dot*

Where's the clock? :p

Shuuji said...

Wow....Jay must really feel guilty or something....drop dead though....what did the coroner say?

Ganymede said...

Oooo. My bday is coming. I'd like a Guess watch please. :P

hrugaar said...

Coroner said natural causes, he just died because his time was up. ;P It's also a neat story of poetic justice for trying to cheat death.

Sam said...

I shall give clocks to people like my course mates. With nearly batteries.

Bitches.

Sam said...

*nearly dead

Shuku said...

Learn somethin' new every day. I'd think it'd hurt more to throw the clock at 'em. Or wire a bomb into it...

Err, ok, too much Daniel Silva.

:P

Unknown said...

Wua hua hua. Kelakarnya. Ei u so free ke?

Janvier said...

William: Death Clock.

Alex: Try telling that to your elders, or better yet, give them a clock. :P

Daniel Henry: In that case how to call it a present?

Savante: No no. Those are like this.

Jason: Somewhere. Buried together with the body. :P

Wolf-[x]: Don't worry - Jay consoles himself by repeatedly telling himself that it wasn't him who put the battery in.

QR: We bought you your birthday present in advance last year, remember? :P

Hrugaar: Haha. Incidently he was actually removing the battery to swap it for an alkaline but we guess we forgot to write that in.

Sam: Why not? See their response. :P

Shuku: Live and learn indeed. ;)

Prefer the bomb idea.

Daohui: We find time. :P