Tuesday, March 21, 2006

How do you read?

I'm a skim reader. The books that I read, which tend to be non-serious, easy-reading, put-down-pick-up books suits me fine for my purposes. Skim readers go through books fairly quickly because we don't have to read every word, our brains really interpret what we read into contexts that we're familiar with. Example, with my Pratchett's Discworlds, conversations or actions become sounds and pictures, and this has been reinforced what with watching the Discworld plays.

Plus, I'm a fairly forgetful person. While forgetful skim-reading easy-reading fiction this is fine, it's a absolute horror with textbooks. Informative texts that require steady attention to what it is trying to get across, not good on nonattentive forgetful fellow who, while able to get the concept pretty quick, will forget what the whole thing was about later on.

Anyways, the point is thus: I'm capable of re-reading most books because there's a novelty value of coming across some part that I didn't notice before. With the Discworld series (especially the early books) there're lots of gems to look out for.

Which leads us to the reason for such long-winded nonsense. Today, reading back Guards! Guards! I learnt a new word. To quote the line:

'We hath got the crown, i'faith, and we will kill any whoreson who tries to take
it away, by the Lord Harry.'


This be my Lord-knows-how-may-times-I've reread that book, I guess still within two-digits, but it's the first time I saw that word. Skim reading really reinterprets similar-looking words and that was a gem.

Wondering which word I learnt? In Interesting Times a similar word would be 'lovechild'.

1 comment:

N.J.A.P.F. said...

"Whoreson" is my guess. Interesting choice of words huh...